Let me take you through the main sections of Google AdWords and show you how to create a campaign.
Go to https://adwords.google.com and login with your gmail account to get started. The next screen that you’ll see is the dashboard. For instance, look at the picture below. I have marked all the sections with red numbers. Find below the explanation to the corresponding numbers to let you understand what AdWords is all about.
The main focus of this guide is to let you understand the major concepts and terms of Google AdWords.
Section 1 – This is the main menu of PPC. It includes the homepage, campaigns, opportunities, reports and tools. We will understand each of them in detail. The homepage shows you the data about the various modules that you can set to display. You can compare different metrics with each other. For eg – clicks vs impressions or ctr vs cost, etc. The homepage also shows you information about interactions, impressions, interaction rates, average cost, conversions, etc. You can see the performance of your campaigns and keywords.
Next, we come to campaigns, which is probably where the main activities will take place. You can see the list of all campaigns that you are running at the bottom of this page, as shown in the picture below. Here, it will show you the budget, status, impressions, interactions, interaction rate and cost of each campaign. You can enable, pause, remove, change budgets, view spreadsheets under the Edit tab. Under the bid strategy tab, you can change, manage and view bid strategy reports. Automate allows you to create rules for these campaigns.
How to create a campaign:
- Click on +campaign tab and choose the type of campaign you want to go with. For instance, let’s select the first option – search network with display select.
- Campaign settings – Look at the picture below to see how your 1st step will look like. Choose a campaign name and select the type of network you want – standard or all features. Each of them has different options and settings. Choose which location you want to target or exclude from your campaign. Pick the language of your choice, English is set by default. Next, we come to the bid strategy where you need to choose how you’d like to set bids for your ads. After this, write the budget for your campaign. Click on save and continue to go the next step.
- Next, we need to create ad groups. An ad group contains one or more ads and a set of related keywords. For best results, try to focus all the ads and keywords in an ad group on one product or service. Enter your landing page and in the box provided, enter your ad group’s name or theme and your bid and all the relevant keywords. Click on continue to the next step.
- Step 3 is creating the final ad. Final URL is the landing page where you want the visitors to go to. Be very careful while selecting this page. Write your headline 1 and headline 2. Lastly, write a good description with relevant keywords. You can see the preview of your ad on the right side of this page. Once everything is done, click on review to review your campaign or click on save and finish.
With all the steps above, you have successfully created a new campaign. If you’d like to make any changes, just select it and choose what changes you want to make. The list of options has already been discussed above in the starting of campaign section.
How to Create a New Ad Group:
- Click on the ad groups tab which is just next to campaigns tab. And then, click on the red tab which says +ad group. You then need to select the campaign for which the ad group needs to be created. If you don’t have a campaign yet, then must create one to proceed.
- Next, choose the ad group name. Fill in the following details – final URL, headline 1 and 2 and description. On the right side, you’ll see the preview of your ad group. Scroll down this page, and you’ll be required to choose the keywords. Your ad can show on Google when people search for the keywords you choose here. These keywords also determine which managed placements are good matches for your ads. Use long-tail keywords and type as many keywords as you can which are relevant to this ad group. Once done, click on save this group.
How to Create A New Ad:
- Click on the ad tab which is next to settings. Then, click on +ad to choose what type of ad you’d want to create. You can choose between text, responsive, image, call-only, video and dynamic search ad. Do remember that each one of these has a different purpose, so choose the most suitable one to what you intend to do.
- To give you an example, I have chosen the text ad. In this next step, we need to choose the campaign and its ad group for which we are creating the new ad. So, click on select an ad group and choose the campaign and the ad group. Fill in the details about the ad – the final URL, headline 1 and 2 and description. You can also see the preview of this new ad on the right side of this page. Once everything is done, click on save ad and you have successfully created a new ad.
How to Add New Keywords:
Click on the keyword tab, which is next to the video tab. Select the group for which you need to add keywords. In the box below it, type all the keywords(one per line) that you intend to add. Remember to use long-tail keywords and as many relevant keywords as you can.
At the bottom of this page, you will see another box that shows quite a lot of data about the keywords. You can see a list of keywords that you’ve created till now, which campaign and ad group they belong to, status, maximum CPC, impressions, interactions and rate and the CPC. These metrics are important as they show you how each keyword is performing.
How to Add a Target Audience:
Click on the audiences tab, which is next to the keywords tab. To get started you need to select a campaign or an ad group. Next, add targeting options and exclusions (if you wish too).
In this example, we’ve selected interests and remarketing under add targeting. You can either connect to people who have visited your website before or those who have provided their email addresses to you. But if you don’t have a remarketing list, you will need to create one. For that, click on create and manage lists. Once it is done, click on save and you’ve successfully added a targeting.
Video targeting: You can view the metrics about the video campaigns that you’ve created. The first menu that you’ll encounter contains information regarding demographics, interests, remarketing, placements, topics and keywords. AdWords will also show you the graphs for each metric.
In the bottom half of this page, you’ll see various information regarding the age, gender, parental status and household income. One can also go through options such as segment, filter, and columns.