Creating a WordPress website is simple, it’s divided into three parts. Just follow the steps below :
Part 1: Creating a Domain Name
- A domain name is basically what users type in their address bar, to visit your WordPress Website. So in order to have one, you need to purchase it online from a web domain and hosting company. The most preferred website to purchase it from is godaddy.com
Click on the above link and first create your GoDaddy account – Enter your email ID, create a username and password. You also need to create a support pin if there comes a need to contact the support team in the future.
- Once you have created your account, you need to choose a domain name. This is the most important part of your website creation. Look at the picture below, you need to enter a name in the box to see if it’s available. If it is, the message will appear “this domain is available”. But in case of unavailability, keep searching till you finally find one.
- In the next screen, you will be asked to define what you will do with the domain, but choosing the options are completely optional (see the picture below), so you can ignore them and move ahead to step 4.
- You will now be directed to the cart to complete your purchase. The most important items to look at are your product(s), the term (in years) and subtotal. The final total cost of the entire cart will be shown on the right side (as below).
- After finalizing with everything, click on the orange button – proceed to checkout. In the next screen, you will be asked to fill in the billing information and payment information. The default payment method is a debit/credit card, but you can also choose from other options, for eg – net banking.
- Click on place your order. You will get a confirmation message on the next screen and also to your registered email ID. And you have successfully created your domain.
Part 2: Purchasing web hosting
- Coming to the second part, we will purchase a web hosting from the same website, but you can choose to purchase from any web hosting company. So, go to in.godaddy.com, then choose Hosting and click on WordPress hosting.
- The following page will appear where you need to pick a hosting plan. Since we’re just starting, let’s pick the basic plan.
- In this page, check your products in the cart. Remove any unwanted product or add any, if you need to and click on proceed to checkout.
- You can choose from a number of payment methods – credit card/debit card/net banking/PayPal as shown below.
With this, you have successfully purchased a hosting.
Part 3: Creating the WordPress website with GoDaddy domain and hosting
- We have a domain name and web hosting, now you can easily create your website on WordPress. Go to wordpress.org and click on get started.
- You will be asked a few things – your website’s name, about and its primary goal.
- In the next screen you will be asked to create a domain name, but since you already own one on GoDaddy, simply click on “already own a domain”. WordPress will then map this domain to use it as your site’s address. Make sure to write your complete domain name.
- Now choose the plan that you are comfortable with. Its often recommended picking the first plan if you’re just starting out with WordPress.
- The last step is to create your account. Fill in your email ID, username, and password. Once done, you will get a confirmation message on the same screen and as well as to your email address.
After logging in, the first screen that you’ll see will be the WordPress dashboard. You can access your site’s content and get a view of various areas of your site – posts, activities, pages, drafts, etc.
To start with, you can check out the settings, appearance, plugins, users, and tools.
With all the steps above, you have successfully created your WordPress Website.